• 1,378 posts

• Character Info:
    Moofey - 8x Ranger (M)
    CherryVodka - 1x Rogue (M)
    Moofani - 1x Wild Hunter (F)
    (Quit)

• Bera

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

Every day, Mapletowers gets way, way, way, way too many registrations from spambots. (As of right now, I believe 99.9% of all new registrants are spambots which is extremely sad.) With that in mind, all new registrations are being treated with heavy scrutiny.

I have analyzed patterns coming from all spambot accounts that have been banned and have come up with a simple screening process. That being said, if you do any of the following, you will automatically be considered a spambot account and be banned permanently:

• Listing your location in your character information (This is the key factor right here.)
  • Advertising anything in your signature that it not from a known site
  • Advertising anything in your first post
  • Using an e-mail address that appears to be coming from a source bent on advertising anything, or where the user portion of the address is a suspicious or random string of characters.

Many of these suspicious accounts don't get past user validation. (for various reasons.) That being said when registering a new account, please validate it as soon as possible as unvalidated accounts are being deleted very quickly. (From this point the unvalidated accounts group will be wiped every 48 hours.) If you do not verify your account and find it has been removed, simply re-create it. If you have trouble verifying your account, there are threads located in this forum in which you can post in. (as a guest)

I am really hoping for new anti-spam countermeasure soon. I really hate to be so strict on new accounts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users